Learn. Reflect. Lead.

Learn. Reflect. Lead.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

My #oneword 2015

Last December I started blogging after a bit of #edupressure and did pretty well posting up until August. I guess the start of a new school year got the best of me and now it's time to get back in the swing.

As I think about my #oneword for this year, I must first reflect on last year's, JOY. My plan was to have a Joy Jar to keep track of my joyful moments, but alas the jar stayed empty. "Oh No!" you must be thinking, but rest assured it didn't stay empty due to the lack of joyful moments. It stayed empty because I had to focus so hard on paying attention to my joyful moments that I never could remember to take the time to actually document them and put them in the jar. I struggled, had high highs and low lows, but was determined to find my joy. You know how they say that sometimes you have to hit bottom before you can get back to the top? Well that's what happened around April.

I had interviewed for a teaching position at another school in another district and didn't get it. Being the reflective person I am, I solicited feedback about my interview. Fortunately, the administrator who had interviewed me was honest. I had come off as rather negative in the interview and the committee didn't feel I would be a good fit. As it was hard to hear this, it was exactly what I needed to hear and the feedback made me hit my bottom. Who wants to seen a Negative Nelly? Certainly not me! From that point on I worked hard to find my joy. At the start of this current school year I made sure that I steered clear of negativity at my school and have worked hard to let what I can't control roll off my back. During Thanksgiving and Winter Break I was sure to focus on family and friends, rather than work, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Several friends and even my own mother commented that I seemed more content than they have seen me in a while.

Though I didn't completely follow my plan, I absolutely found more joy in 2014. As I continue to find more joy, this year's #oneword will be BALANCE.


Image Credit
Now that I have a handle on finding joy, I need to find the balance between my work and my personal life. I will have to be purposeful with decisions and be sure that I am providing myself with enough time to enjoy my family and friends, while also providing enough time to enjoy teaching. After all, if I am feeling balanced, my classroom will be balanced. This will allow me to have the right frame of mind to foster good relationships with my students and provide quality instruction. A balanced mind = a balanced life.

This is part of the #youredustory blog challenge. It's not too late to join.

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous, Trisha! I love how such a negative experience turned into so much JOY for you. And along the same lines, my #oneword this year is POSITIVE -- just like you, trying to focus on the good, the happy, the fun in my work (and life) because there's always gonna be negative that will try to bring us down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura! I think as educators we often forget to balance our personal and professional lives. Education is such a hobby for me, rather than just a job and this is how I get out of balance. I definitely will be working on seeing the positives too!

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this post, Trisha. I am also looking for balance in my life, but your post reminded me that I must also be mindful of the joy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Learn. Reflect. Lead. by Trisha Sanchez is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.