Learn. Reflect. Lead.

Learn. Reflect. Lead.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

It's About More Than the Academics

A student comes in and wants to share the book they just finished, or a great joke they've recently heard.

Or

In the middle of class, the lesson spurs a student to connect the learning to something they did over the weekend.

Or

Students ask to come in at lunch because they want a quiet place to eat, hang out, and complete homework.

What do you do? 

I want students to connect with me, tell me their stories, and see my room as a safe place to be. Some of my favorite parts of my day are these interactions. This is probably one of the best things I do in my classroom, in my students' opinion and mine. 


Learning and the school day is so much more than academics. A sense of belonging and self worth is needed for students to even be ready to learn. I encourage both of these by allowing students to be kids, humans if you will, rather than always being the student. My favorite time is lunch because there are always 5-10 students in my room, working, socializing, or just hanging out. Our conversations cover so many topics and we learn so much about each other. This in turn helps students make a connection to school that will ultimately help them be a successful learner. And, even though I have 45 minute class periods and we are always pressed for time, there will always be time for a student to share a connection. Yes, I have to be careful that we stay on topic and not take too much time away from our learning tasks, but the pay off for letting students share is worth it.

It's about letting kids be kids. Show them that your care goes far beyond how they perform in your class. 


This is part of the #youredustory blog challenge. It's not too late to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Learn. Reflect. Lead. by Trisha Sanchez is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.