Learn. Reflect. Lead.

Learn. Reflect. Lead.

Monday, February 24, 2014

The Thing About Tech

I recently went to Playdate San Jose in my attempts to find time to learn new technology. This was a day similar to the edcamp model I have blogged about before here and here. A day where I got to decide which app, tool, or website I wished to know more about and have time to discover. Not only did I walk away with an even more increased desire to find time to play with tech, I realized the thing about tech is...


  1. There are lots of options. - This can be overwhelming and sometimes it requires you to focus on just one or two new pieces of tech to learn. 
  2. You shouldn't get stuck in a tech rut. - What works best for you at one time in your tech lifetime may not be the best at another time. I got into a discussion with someone in one of my sessions about being open to trying new apps, not getting stuck in the "I like this because I've always used it" rut. This holds true for life in general, but I think this is most important with tech. With the ever expansion and retooling of tech, it is imperative that you be willing to try a new tool, app, or website.
  3. You need to give yourself time to play. - To truly know whether or not tech is going to suit your purpose or need, you need to give it a chance. I'm not saying that you need to learn all the ins and outs, but at least give the tech a good test run before you decide it's not for you. 
  4. Don't be afraid to try. - You cannot truly know what tech is all about unless you jump in and try. In all my years of hitting buttons and clicking here and there, I have never, I repeat, I have never broken anything. Ok, maybe I accidentally deleted some files, but I was able to get them back. The point is we need to act like our students in this regard and just click all over the place. Be fearless in your play!
  5. Don't use tech just because it is there. - The use of tech should be purposeful. Have I used tech before because it was fun? Absolutely. But, the majority of my use serves a purpose. I think about my lesson objectives first, then about how tech can help in accessing, producing, and assessing those objectives. I think of the SAMR Model. Tech should not drive what you do, your lesson objectives should and there are times that pencil and paper are best. Using tech should take careful thought.
When all was said and done, I was exhausted and my head was full of ideas. I love that tech is ever changing and the fact that I can continue to learn it everyday keeps my brain fresh and my ideas current. I look forward to the next Playdate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Learn. Reflect. Lead. by Trisha Sanchez is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.