Learn. Reflect. Lead.

Learn. Reflect. Lead.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

That's What I'm Talkin About - Join Us

I feel compelled to write this post only a few days after my initial post, and I know many professionals know the power of social media, twitter in particular. But, what happened to me yesterday exemplifies why more educators need to create their own professional learning networks (PLN). Here I was worried about sticking my neck out to the world and sharing ideas. Terrified that no one would care, that my writing was bad, or that I had too many typos (since publication, I have corrected 3), I nervously clicked "Publish" on my newly created blog. Here's what happened:

1. Two of my favorite tweeps, Jennifer Kloczko (@jkloczko) and Karl Lingren-Streicher (@LS_Karlretweeted my first blog post


2. Two others, whom I did not know, Lisa Nowakowski (@NowaTechie) and Donnie Piercey (@mrPiercey) commented on Karl's tweet.


3. 30 something replies later I now find myself with two new tweeps and involved in a blogging contest

     - For more information on this blogging contest see Lisa's first post of the year here.
     - We even decided on a hashtag for the contest (#TeacherBlogContest)

This is the power of my PLN. Here I was worried about putting myself out there and instead I find myself empowered to continue. I have met two new people, who I can't wait to meet face-to-face in the future, and am having fun. That's what I'm talkin about!  I want to shout it from the rooftops...come, join in, you will find yourself better personally and professionally for it.


As someone who is relatively new to this whole twitter/blogging thing (5 months), I am so glad I have joined in. If you want to stay current, develop positive relationships with wonderful people and grow as a professional, then you need to create your PLN and if comfortable, start blogging. It's a new year, so try something new. If I can do it, so can you!



Photo Credit: Doran via Flickr


2 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME! Can't wait to meet you f2f

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your blog, Trisha. Congratulations on starting, and keep it up. I started a blog for our district (sduhsdtech.blogspot.com) when I got my ToSA position, hoping it would catch on and become a group blog, but so far it's been just me. I am persistent, however. I find blog posts to be good reflection for me, and if I can share my reflections with colleagues, all the better.

    Looking forward to meeting you in person someday!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Learn. Reflect. Lead. by Trisha Sanchez is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.